Monday, January 11, 2016

#JustTouristThings

As of today I have officially survived my first week in London! There have definitely been a few surprising things about life in a different country (Eggs aren't refrigerated?? No one talks on the tube?? Pulp is called juicy bits?!?) but I think I am finally starting to get the hang of things around here. This week I had my first class - taught by a hilariously quirky Scottish professor - and I got the chance to see many of London's most iconic landmarks and locations. I am continuously in awe of the amazing history this city has to offer and cannot wait to explore more!

On Thursday a small group of us decided to go and see Big Ben and Buckingham palace. I think Big Ben is probably one of my favorite sights in London! Besides being so amazing to look at - the detail is incredible - it's just such an iconic British landmark. The weather on the day we went was beautiful and the sun hitting the gold on the clock tower was spectacular!



Amazing view of Big Ben right when you exit the Westminster tube station - definitely one of my favorites!
Big Ben is attached to the British Houses of Parliament, which is another destination on my bucket lists of places to tour - you can actually go in and watch debates going on! The architecture of this massive building is like nothing I have ever seen before. It's places like these that remind me of how young America is in comparison to the UK.

British flag looks especially majestic here :)
Such amazing detail
View from the River Thames
Me and MaryP!
Our next stop was Buckingham Palace, which I have to admit was a bit underwhelming. I think I was expecting to see those guys in funny hats standing outside but since we got there in the early evening we missed the changing of the guards. It was still really cool to see although I think I like the White House better :) I'll definitely be back in hopes of catching a glimpse of the queen (the flag was up which means she was home while we were there!!) or anyone royal for that matter. 

Showing off my new crib...


The next day we had our first excursion with EUSA, our program hosts. Our calendar said we had a London Dungeons tour so we all thought (or at least I did!) we would be going underground to see some real dungeons in the city. As it turns out "The London Dungeons Experience" was a somewhat cheesy and actually pretty scary tour and reenactment of some of the major historical events in England - definitely made just for the tourists. However, I actually learned a few things about King Henry VIII, medieval torture, the plague, and Jack the Ripper. It was right by the London Eye too, which we get to ride later this month - I can't wait! 


Some of the GCP girl squad 
Cute pictures were in order of course...
Stopped for a quick snack - preparing for my trip this weekend (!!!)
On Sunday a few of us went to a service at Westminster Abbey. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside but it was literally the most beautiful church I have ever been in. Nicole and I got to sit in the main section, the same place where the boys choir and actual real life royals sat during Will and Kate's wedding. I think I died a little inside. After the service we popped into the National Portrait Gallery for a bit. It's so nice that most of the museums here are free so we didn't feel too guilty that we left after only 45 minutes...

This week I have more classes and then I'm off to Paris for the weekend (casual, I know). Stay tuned! 

1 comment: